Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bag a Book event

Last night I attended a very successful Bag a Book event at Borders, Knox City Shopping Centre. Kevin Rabalais, our Library Week ambassador, was on hand to welcome people to the event and mingled with our members assisting with the difficult choices. There was a great mix of members from different libraries (approximately 200 people attended) and everyone seemed to enjoy browsing through the Borders store searching for the perfect books and/or DVDs for their favourite branch.

Lyn informs me that we selected more books than DVDs & CDs and more non-fiction than fiction. I asked her what were the most expensive and/or unusual selections for the night and she said they were:
  • The complete MAD Don Martin (MAD's greatest artist series) $275
  • 2 volume set of cookbooks from El Bulli, a Spanish restaurant $235
  • Several copies of The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle pop-up book.
Borders were kind to offer some discounts on the night for personal shopping, of which I happily took advantage. There were also refreshments available.

So what did I select? A couple of fantasy books I recognised from a bookclub list (I'm so far behind) - Joe Abercrombie's Before they are hanged (First Law Book 2) and Mark J Ferrari's The Book of Joby. If I could have selected 3 titles I would have selected some Joe Haldeman short stories, I have Camouflage at home ready to read next. Maybe next time.

Here are photos from the opening speeches:


Kevin Rabalais



Listening to the opening speeches.

Did any of you come to the event? What did you think?

Cheers, Maryanne

2 comments:

Suzanne Allan said...

Ditto. I took my two children along and they had a great time, looking for books, cd's and dvd's for library and themselves. However a special mention must to the refreshments, the kabana was a big hit and yes I did feed them before we came.
They chose the branch they wanted THEIR books to go to, mummies of course, lucky I work at two. And to top it all off, they get their names inside the books.
Thanks ERL

Webgurl said...

Yes we often take these things for granted. Kids love shopping for books, CDs and DVDs (for themselves of course). The discounts were great too. Saved a heap of money.

Cheers, webgurl