Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Work on the catalogue

Hi everyone,

Well it's been so busy lately. I thought I'd let you know of a few of the projects I am working on with regards to the new catalogue.

1. Member login from the website

Many people are having problems with the Member Login to Renew link on the website. They are not able to login to their account if they have overdues etc and wish to view their loans.

I am redesigning the banner of the website and removing the Member Login to renew link. There will be one access point for logging into the catalogue.

2. New titles

I am currently setting up some reports to display the new titles (books, CDs, DVDs etc). Once I have these set up I will add a link to the menu at the top of the catalogue labelled new titles. This will make it so much easier to search for new CDs and DVDs in particular. I'll regularly point to this list in the blog.

3. Find it Fast

I will be setting up a set of buttons in a section called Find it fast. It will include complete list of all CDs, DVDs, bookclub books, family history among others. It will simplify searching for these items.

4. Updated catalogue tutorial

A couple of things have happened in this area. I am updating the tutorial booklet to include things like searching for CDs and DVDs, keeping records to print/email, my favourites etc. I hope to have this uploaded soon. I have also changed the name (by popular request). It's now called 'How to use iBistro catalogue'.

Oh and while we're on the subject, I've been asked quite a few times about the name iBistro catalogue. iBistro is the name given to the product by SirsiDynix. I'm not sure about the origin however I imagine the person who named it was thinking of a information restaurant. The word catalogue has been used for years in libraries. Oxford Reference defines it as "a complete list of items, typically one in alphabetical or other systematic order, in particular: a list of all the books or resources in a library".

Cheers, Maryanne

No comments: